Georgetown in Guyana’s capital city. It was so named after the British conquered the Dutch in 1812. The name originates from Fort St. George which was established at the mouth of the Demerara River as a signal station for the purpose of observing and controlling incoming and outgoing traffic.
Like all capitals, the city is the centre of teh government administration and a wide range of encomomic activity. Most of the streets of Georgetown are laid out in almost perfect rectangles, a legacy of our Dutch heritage. This design therefore makes it relatively easy for the stranger in town to wend his/her way around.
The larger concentration of the commerical houses is found ‘downtown’. This area is bounded by Camp Street in the east and by Water Street on the west with Lamaha Street and Brickdam being the northern and southern extremities respectively. There is however, an increasing number of businesses located further east of Camp Street in Regent Street.
Transportation around the city is provided by privately owned mini buses which operate in allocated zones for which there is a well-regulated fare structure. This arrangement extends to all mini bus routes throughout the country. Taxis have freer movement around the city and into rural areas. Their fare, while generally standard, is less regulated.
The network of routes has a number of identifiable starting points which are concentrated in the Stabroek Area and along the Avenue of the Republic between Croal and Robb Streets. Any traffic policeman or regular commuter would willingly direct the new comer to the relevant car park. Additionally many public phone booths are conveniently placed in and around the city and the country as a whole. Having a phone card on hand is a great advantage.