Shopping in Guyana

Shopping in Guyana is an adventure worth embarking upon as you discover unique treasures that are Guyana’s claim to fame.  A vast number of boutiques, jewellery and craft shops are available to be explored.

Part of the intrigue of shopping in Guyana comes from the vendors themselves.  Masters of customer care, vendors entice passing customers with the most endearing or flattering greetings.  You are made to feel as if you are indeed a very special person to the vendor who then goes out of his or her way to make sure that you are perfectly satisfied with the your purchase before wishing you a nice day and bidding you goodbye.

Shopping at the city or village markets is musical treat.  The music emanates not from any musical instrument the stal may have but from the chants and of the vendors and hawkers.  Rythmn and cadence abound even if the words are not easily discernible.  Vowels extend and there is an intricate modulation of the voice to create an orchestra of musical performances at the markets.  This ensemble is but the rhythmic backdrop to your unforgettable shopping experience.

Regent Street, the hub of Georgetown’s shopping, has innumerable boutiques that offer a wide variety of local, ethnic as well as international fashions.   Shopping is not limited to Regent as the Vendors Arcade contains an assortment of nicks and knacks of the fashion world and includes cosmetics, fragrances and an array of accessories.

Share and Enjoy

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
  • Delicious
  • StumbleUpon
  • Pinterest
  • Add to favorites
  • RSS

24 Responses to Shopping in Guyana

• Maui says:

I recently returned to Hawaii from a lengthly visit to Guyana, and frequented Regent Street, and the markets and numerous vendors and food stands, I must say I would rather eat from the outside food vendors than the restaurants such as Upscale(not tastesty nor filling) the cost is less the food um. ummmmmm good! The fish market, the best!!!!!! The street vendors have the same products as the boutiques and are way less in cost, their willing to wheel and deal, the people are beautiful, humble and peaceful always smiling, granted their willing to take any tourists money which is who I was there even if my soon to be husband is guyanese and also an american, I wouldn’t have passed my visit up for anything in the world. I’ll be returning to Guyana in May and look foward to an even more in depth experience of Guyana for one day it will become my Home. I’m not blind I realize Guyana is a third world country, there is so much I have to learn, and there are some projects I’m hoping to oneday implement or at the least look into where the children of Guyana is concerned especially handicapped children, and those in rural areas or villages. Thankyou Guyana

• blah says:

glad to enjoy your stay in guyana…

• Roxanne John-Salmon says:

I recently returned to the UK after spending three wonderful weeks in Guyana, i love everything about Guyana the lovely warm people, the shopping in the whole was excellent, the food was to die for, even though times are hard the people are always smiling and is so warm and welcoming it’s surreal. I am Guyanese by birth but has lived away for thirty one years and it never fails to amaze me how friendly everyone is, i can’t wait for my next visit.Thank you all so much for your warm hospitality.

• moh says:

This is a message to roxanne so wah u na go clean up guyanan u probably sit u self a white man land

• Patricia says:

Oh beautiful Guyana was a song I learned when I was growing up back in the late 60′s. It will always stay with me as long as I live. I have been living out of Guyana for over 25 years and while I enjoy living in the US; spending a vacation in Guyana is always a welcome time. There is a vast difference between the two countries but the people and the sceneries is what makes it special. A few guests spoke of the food; and I must say for the most part all Guyanese living abroad does not divert from their food culture. To make it much clear; they will have and eat the same food at home but would like a doggie bag of the same food to take home that is to say how much they like the food they grow up eating.
    See in a year or two Guyanese.

• Sandra says:

Moh, first of all you need to learn proper english before you post your rude and negative posts. If you have nothing intelligent to say then you should not say anything.

• Mini says:

I went to Guyana 3 times this year ( Vacation, Wedding, Funeral) and i can safely say – I had the most wonderful time ever. The people are so amazing, the children are so mannerly.. always saying good Morning and Afternon, the food is to die for.

I lived in Canda 25 years and travel to alot of other places and Guyana is still my #1. Definitely retiring there.

• lana says:

I read some of the comments and I have to respond. First of all Guyana is a developing country. A lot of improvements have been made. You can’t call a country a third world country when it doesn’t look like one. And for those of you who like to say, “oh things are so hard, it’s surprising the people so happy.” You all should think before you write. Things are hard in america too, some parts of america look like a third world country. What you got to say about that. I love you Sandra, you’re so right.

• lana says:

Oh I take my comment back about sandra. I thought you were talking about what some of the other people had to say about Guyana. I have no problem with Mo, let people speak how they want to speak. I understand him, and I agree with him.

• Robert says:

Although I never returned to Guyana since I departed in 1970, the comments I received from families and friends, Cummingslodge Secondary School Alumnus, and other visitors, are good ones despite the political and economic problems Guyana faces. I planned to visit soon.

• Abdur says:

Guyana, the land of my birth: I left Guyana in the late 60′s (about 41 years), and make frequent visits. I have traveled world wide while serving in the US Military and there is no other place or peoples that revel the Guyanese experience (in all respects).
    I always enjoyed my shopping experience, wether it be the street vendor of the commercial shops.
    Mind you there is still a lot of work to be done to attract outside visitors (upgrade the country’s infrastructure, etc) but I have great hope for this great country which will forever be my home..

Salam

• moh says:

This message for abdur, weel since u left u beautiful country how long ago then u must have loys of money so go back and help develop the placeamen

• Rose Jenson says:

i truly am liking this site. and i just sent your post to digg.

• sts says:

You post informative posts. Bookmarked !

• raquel says:

• raquel says:

I spent in guyana almost 2 yrs before come to america is so nice ,but be carfully becouse a lot of people there you see are infect with HIV ,if you no want be countagios use condon,take care yourself ,if you want sleep good be carfully.I am from brasil I LOVE LIVE THERE REALLY THE PEOPLE IS SO FRENDLY

• Abdul says:

For my brother Abdur,going back to Guyana except for a short visit,re-migrants are robbed by government officials and are targets of common thieves let alone greedy relatives.
    Trust me I know,I’ve seen it happened so often,plus our country has indeed gone to the dogs.

• lucy says:

hola

• Karim says:

Moh, what is so wrong if someone visits Guyana after a long absence and writes a note on his/her experience… seems like you have elected yourself the judge of all entries.. take a few seconds and think why people maybe feeling some form of nostalgia or whatever positive feeling they have and express…and maybe collectively these same expats will have something of value to give to Guyana…your continual bashing of everyone, and I certainly expect your response in the negative here as well does not promote the same attribute many of the posters are reporting, that friendliness and mannerisms demonstrated by Guyanese..

• Kevin says:

Great post. Interesing information about Shopping in Guyana | Georgetown I love this blog!

• Pula says:

I was in Guyana last year, that was great experience!

• Roquell says:

I returned to Guyana after 16 yrs for a week (1 week ago) as i was on business and could not afford to stay longer!
    Guyana is an amazing place filled with such magic and character and an overwhelmingly powerful and positive vibration that i see in all the faces of its people! Guyanese are a very patriotic people where ever they are including where i live in the Caribbean! However, i found that many Guyanese that still reside in Guyana have lost sight of what true nation building means! It most certainly does not reside in building monstrous buildings after knocking down an old historical one, but more so in helping to preserve the history of our country by keeping these landmarks in tact and celebrating what they mean to our people. Its about responsibly disposing of a food box and empty soda bottle after use and not tossing them out the bus window! For those of you who do not know Guyana is one of the few places on the planet with a fully intact and untouched rain forest that supports over 50% of the world’s ecosystem! One of the only “third world” countries where medical, education and career training are for the most part for FREE! I would like to see more work being done by the government inspiring and informing people about the value of our beautiful country and the part it plays globally as it pertains to the environment! Maybe then we’ll see a change in the way people treat it!
    If all goes as planned i will be back home to aid in the development of not only Guyana’s Infrastructure and basic amenities but also to help invoke a more “green” way of thinking among the people! Tourism and Eco tourism should be the next step for this beautiful nation but we must all work together to get all the ducks in a row before this can happen!

I invite you all to watch this video by clicking on the link and further encourage to refrain from negative commentary on this page as it completely defeats the purpose of it! Everyone is entitled to their opinions and have had their own unique experience. Let’s demonstrate our reserve and reflect positively upon our people as so many posters have reported!

I truly hope this all received positively as it is nothing short of it!

• Sharen says:

I am a Vincentian by birth and I must truly say that Guyana is the place to be for a great fun fill and exciting vacation. I have visited Guyana three times for vacation it was off the hook with my recent visit last year september, the shopping I just can’t get over it the people are great fun to be around they are warm and special people indeed. The food are excellent uhhh my favourite cook-up rice. My next stop there will be next year.