The Georgetown Lighthouse was first a wooden lighthouse completed in 1817 by the Dutch and it’s purpose was to aid vessels and ships into the Demerara River from the Atlantic Ocean. On June 1st, 1830 the structure was rebuilt with brick and concrete on the same site by the Dutch. The lighthouse in it’s present form was renovated and had its foundations repaired by British engineers allowing it to last for almost 200 years.
The present brick structure is located on Water Street and measures 103 feet tall. It has distinctive red and white strips and is a National Monument of Guyana.
The top of the Light house offers a panaramic view of Georgetown and the Demerara River as shown below:a